|One of the earlier pictures of his face rash|
Early on, his rash was all over his face. It would vary in intensity and we could not connect it to anything. It was so frustrating, but he didn't seem bothered by it. We kept an eye on it, tried a variety of creams and oils, and yet it still kept coming. It also started changing.
It would change to a more "constellation" type pattern, like the picture in the monkey jammies, or sometimes, his entire face would get puffy, like in the picture next to it.
After fighting it for two months, our doctor finally prescribed us a steroid cream. We were all baffled by what was causing it, and just wanted some relief for my gorgeous little guy. The steroid cream worked...for about three days. Then, the rash migrated. It stopped coming to his cheeks and started forming largely around his eyes, as seen below. It looked like hives along his eyes. This was really nerve-wracking, of course, because it was so close to his eyes!
Then, the cream stopped working all together, and he was back to what he was before--a speckled mess of a baby.
So, our pediatrician gave us a referral to dermatology. Unfortunately, it took a while to wait for an appointment, due to my daily schedule. We finally went on November 26th, and Clayton was diagnosed with perioficial dermatitis.
Also known as perioral dermatitis, this is a skin condition that has no real cause and can last for quite a while. It is exacerbated by basically everything, and is treated with antibiotics. So the unfortunate result of switching to the antibiotic and removing the steroid is that for now, his poor face looks even worse, and probably stings. He has been moody and cranky since then, and screams like crazy when I have to put on the cream.
I feel really bad for my little dude, and wish there was some way to make him feel better. I have been cycling tylenol and ibuprofen on bad days, which does seem to help. But in the bath, if water touches his face, he gets really upset, so I know it's bugging him.
Hopefully, in a few weeks, we will see it clear up. If it hasn't by his follow-up appointment in January, we will have to try some other options.